Bulb manufacturers to cease incandescent light production

A new set of light bulb legislation that was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2007 are slated to begin taking affect in early 2014. The law, which requires all bulb manufacturers to cease making standard incandescent 40 and 60 watt lights in favor of energy efficiency ones, comes on the heels of the controversial phasing out of 75 and 100 watt bulbs at the beginning of this year.

While the more traditional light bulbs are the least expensive kind initially, the energy efficient options- halogen bulbs, compact florescent lights (CFLs), LED- will save homeowners money in the long run. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 10 percent of the energy used by standard bulbs are converted into light, while the other 90 percent is wasted on heat. So while it might cost more to buy an LED bulb, it will last much longer due to the higher quality of the item, which requires you to purchase lighting less often.

The law has drawn criticism from conservative groups, who argue that the government should not be regulating what bulbs people are or are not allowed to use in their homes. Their belief is that if the lighting was really a much better option, people would buy them without being forced to do so. The GOP-controlled House of Representatives first tried to overturn the new regulations in 2011, but failed to do so. However, Congress was able to prevent the Department of Energy from spending any money on the law's enforcement.

While it is not illegal for somebody to use standard light bulbs they already own, manufacturers will be prevented from producing new ones for the market.

To increase the energy efficiency of your home, contact R&J Tinting about our selection of window film for homes.